Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Things They Say...

We spent a weekend in Gatlinburg and as we pulled in one night the sky was clear and the stars were abundant. I said, "Joshua, look at the sky there are so many stars! You can even see the big dipper." Katherine, scrambling to get out of the car says, "I want to see the apple dippers!" I'm thinking maybe too many trips to McDonalds?



At the grocery the other day Lydia asks, "When I get big can I change my name?"
Me, "No, why do you have a different name picked out?"
Lydia, "Yes, Swirley! because I like to swirl and twirl like this!" ...as she swirls and twirls down the ailse.



Katherine, "I know what happens when you eat too much junk food."
Me, "Oh, what is that?"
Katherine, "You get flat."
Me, thinking she is getting flat and fat confused, "Really? do you mean fat?"
Katherine, "No, flat...like this" and she lies on the floor, flat on her back.



At a restaurant the other day Katherine exclaims, "Look! I not real!" and suddenly makes herself stiff like a statue, arms down by her side, neither blinking nor moving her eyes...staring at nothing.



On the way to school the other day Katherine says, "I hope we crash our car today."
Me, thinking she had a word confused, "What? crash our car?"
Katherine, "I hope we crash our car so we can buy a new one."
My husband obviously put her up to that one.


Preparing dinner the other night, I said, "This is may favorite dinner...it smells soooo good."
Lydia, "I know my favorite dinner!"
Me, "Really, what is that?"
Lydia, "That brown stuff with the red stuff on top."
Me, "I don't know what that is."
Lydia, "You know, that stuff that doesn't look good-but is really is?"
Meatloaf. Seriously, what 5 year old loves meatloaf?

Me, "You guys are going to Ms. Crystal's house after school tomorrow because I have a conference with Lydia's teacher."
Joshua, "What is a conference?"
Me, "A time for me to meet with Lydia's teacher to see how she is doing in school."
Lydia, "Oh, she's doing good."
Me, "What? Who is doing good?"
Lydia, "Mrs. Angie, she is doing okay at school."

Family Bible Time:
We were talking about the Israelites eating manna and quail for 40 years in the desert...breakfast, lunch, dinner...and yes, even snacktime. We asked the kids what they thought of that and Joshua said, "I would get tired of eating the samething all the time." Lydia says, "Well, only if it were Pop-tarts, I'd like to eat Pop-tarts all the time!"

A few nights later during family Bible time...Moses receiving the 10 Commandments. We asked the kids if they could name them, Joshua and Lydia were doing well so we asked Katherine if she could remember any of them. Steve gave her the prompt, "it starts with "do not..."" to which Katherine exclaims, "Do not bug!" (Joshua is constantly in trouble for bugging his sisters.)

On the way to school last week Katherine asks, "Mommy do we have eyebones?"
Me, "eyebones?"
Katherine, "yes, eyebones."
Me, "No honey, we don't have eyebones."
Katherine, "well they just talked about eyebones on the radio."
The radio was on but I had no idea what was playing. Joshua overhearing the conversations clarifies, "No Katherine, not eyebones...iphone...it's a commercial for the iphone!"

As the kids get older, the chores they are responsible for change. Katherine has watched the chore of unloading the dishwasher each day be passed from Joshua to Lydia and now to her. While unloading it the other morning she asks Steve, "When are we going to have another kid in the house?" She was quite disappointed in Steve's answer. I think she figures she is stuck with that one forever.

And just this morning while brushing Lydia's teeth, we were talking about Joshua bugging the girls and the appropriate response to such "bugging" when she asks-with all the seriousness a five year old can ask, "who is ever going to marry Joshua?!"

No comments: