Thursday, July 15, 2010

FEAR

Fear. How many decisions do we make out of fear? Really. How many times do we think the thoughts..."I'm afraid if I don't..." I'm afraid if I do..." Often we are paralyzed by fear, meaning we do nothing. FEAR-False Evidence Appearing Real.

Joshua faced his biggest fear this week. He did not go willingly. I began mentally preparing him about 2 weeks ago. I encouraged him the day of. Then I finally threatened to carry him to the car. Fortunately, he does not realize that I probably can' do that anymore. Anyway, he held back the tears and walked into the class. Thankfully, he had his sister, who is part fish, right beside him.

Joshua has always had a fear of water. He has learned to tolerate getting his face wet, but will not get in water without a life jacket and/or a floatie. I took him to swimming lessons when he was three. He still remembers it...and how much he hated it. So now, four years later he is again facing his fear.

On day 2 he was holding back the tears when it was time to go to class. I shared with him a time when I was scared as a kid. I also shared with him Philippians 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your heart and mind." I told him to pray that verse and that I too would pray it for him. The most frequent command in the Bible is "Do not be afraid". Can you imagine a life without fear?



Notice...the smile is real!




When I picked him up on day two, he ran to me exclaiming, "I liked it mom, I liked it!" He found out that if he put his ears under the water...when he came out he could still hear. And if his nose went under the water...he could still smell. He learned an important lesson...False Evidence Appearing Real.
I give credit to his amazing teacher who is patient and gentle. Joshua allows her to lead him into deep water because he trusts her. She will lead him, be beside him, and if he sinks, she will catch him. He believes that and follows her wherever she leads in that pool.
I can't help but see the similarities in my relationship with the Lord. How many times have I sat on the side of the pool, with my toes in the water, hesitating, because I did not trust He would catch me?
Some days, I feel like I am in the deep water, not sure if I am going to sink, but knowing if I do, He will catch me. Even if my worst fear becomes a reality, then God will take care of me. I can't just "trust that God will not let it happen"-that is conditional faith. I have to trust and know that in all things, He is faithful..even when my ears and nose get wet!
Oh, to see Joshua's smile. He is no longer in bondage to his fears. He has faced them head on and knocked them out! Way to go Joshua!

1 comment:

RosieBoo said...

I love this, Tammy! We're reading Fearless by Max Lucado this summer in Women's Academy as our summer book club and it is really insightful on how much we fear and how much we shouldn't. Love and miss you guys!