Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Doin' Nothing

I once had a lady tell me "I could never be a stay-at-home mom, I like to be active...busy...I like to be doing something; there is no way I could just sit at home all day."

We all say things out of ignorance. I never used those exact words, but before kids...I wondered what do women who "don't work" do all day.

I have found out.

  • 6:26 am I arise, 10 minutes late, which makes Steve late in getting in the shower-sorry honey!
  • Shower, dressed, make up bed,tidy up bathroom
  • Quiet time-Bible reading, prayer, memory verses
  • Kids wake up-breakfast for the family
  • Clean up breakfast and kitchen, tidy up around house
  • Brush 4 sets of teeth, comb 4 sets of hair, make sure 4 folks are dressed (this includes me and the kids-not Steve).
  • This brings us to 9:00 which is Speech Therapy for Katherine
  • 10:05 leave home for errands which includes;
  • a hike at Beargrass Creek State Park
  • the bank -drive thru wouldn't do, we all get to go in!
  • two grocery stores-these were not the quick "run-ins", this was my monthly shopping at two stores
  • lunch
  • return home for "naptime" during which time I balance the checkbook, take care of our July budgeting items, make phone calls, check email, and read a chapter of my book for bookclub tomorrow night. Finally... I sit down on my sofa...I close my eyes to rest...3.5 minutes later Katherine is awake and my rest time is over.
  • I have just enough time to comfort katherine who woke up quite upset and complete Lydia's handwriting lesson before beginning dinner.
  • cook dinner
  • feed the kids...alone...Steve is working late
  • clean up dinner
  • Make sure everyone is still dressed and faces are cleaned...time to leave
  • I remembered that I forgot to pick up one item for the Strawberry Pretzel salad I am making for tomorrow night's book club...one more grocery trip on the way to church.
  • Church at 6:30. I helped out in the two year old class
  • Home by 8:15. Brush 4 sets of teeth, make sure 4 sets of clean PJs are on, medicine distribution, Bible story, lots of prayers, kisses and hugs
  • Mommy-Joshua time-reading with Joshua a little too graffic library book entitled Predators
  • Steve is still not home.
In the mdst of all of this I also took care of our garden, assited Katherine in the bathroom about 100 times (she is doing great-but pees all the time!), signed a petition for the absolutely ridiculous plan of our government to yet tax us again -this time our freakin' health care benefits, took advantage of many "teachable" moments with my children (aka discipline)-can't let that slide...that is one of the reasons I stay at home, and laundry-I honestly can't remember if I did laundry today or not..seldom a day goes by that I don't do at least one load...but the day is starting to become a blur...it is after 9:00pm

I am sitting on my sofa again...wondering why I am always so exhausted and why my legs constantly ache.

This was not a "bragging" of what all I can do in a day...I know folks who do more. This was simply a report of one of my days of 'not working' and 'sitting at home'.

Well, I have sat long enough, I need to go finish putting the groceries away and pack lunches for tomorrow's trip to the zoo.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Too funny, I love it!!! We are so blessed to be "sit at home" Moms! I just love it when people ask what I do all day! Your doing a great job!!
Marsha

Tammy said...

Amazing how being a stay at home mom really is a full time job. You are an awesome momma, and your kids are beautiful :)