Wednesday, March 4, 2009

the Gate

This week has been quite eventful. Last Wednesday Lydia fell down and hit the door frame in just the right place to cause a 1/2" laceration on her forehead just above her eye. After about 10 minutes of trying to get the bleeding to stop, I took a photo and emailed it to her dad (technology is great) he assured me that she needed stitches. She hardly cried and the doctor loaded her up with stickers and suckers.
Although, I could not stop that injury. I did stop another one this week. The other day Joshua and Lydia were pushing Katherine around in the laundry basket. She is tiny, so they were moving along pretty well. I happen to walk out of Katherine's room in time to see Katherine at the top of the steps, in the laundry basket with Joshua and Lydia behind her trying to figure out how to get the basket over the 1" tension rod of our baby gate. I calmly asked what they were doing and with faces full of excitement they told me they were taking Katherine downstairs to push her around some more. I asked, "how are you going to get her down the steps?" they replied confidently, "we are going to push her!" I hid my smile because this episode was as dangerous as it was funny. I explained to them why this was a really really bad idea. So they decided to carry her down...in the basket...each picked up one end and said something about teamwork. Needless to say, I did not let them do it. They were so very disappointed. Katherine was not too happy with me either...she was enjoying the ride.
If it were not for our gate...and the small tension rod at the bottom...I'd be posting pictures of a tiny 22 month old with a cast or two... or maybe matching stitches with her sister.

1 comment:

Marsha said...

Funny! Sounds like a fun idea to me too! Hope Lydia is alright.
Marsha